Thursday, January 12, 2012

Side project- Thank You Notes (Part 1)

I started a little side project the other day. I received some very nice Christmas gifts and instead of just dashing off the same old stuff I wanted to create something original and nice and it occurred to me I could do something for a portfolio piece in the process. The first one relates to a ceramic dragon I got. I am borrowing an idea or two from the old illuminated manuscripts but I am expanding on it. I decided instead of just drawing a dragon, I would model one.. as well as the T in thank you. First, here is the whole front of the card.

I also created a standalone higher resolution version of just the capital, with the dragon.



I started by modeling the T from a Template I created. Then after several unsuccessful attempts, I figured out how to model the dragon. I tried importing him from ZBrush back into Modo. I know it's possible but I think I went about it wrong. Perhaps in a future project I can do more in that area but since I was only going to show one side I elected not to go to so much trouble. I created a basic shape of the dragon, which I imagined being old and gnarly and tired, with shrunken wings (he's also a kind that doesn't have legs- much more snakelike than some other dragons and then sent it and the T to Zbrush. I did a render in zbrush after painting him (he has about 4 million + polygons) and then I later created the wings separately. I painted in the wing membranes in Photoshop as I wasn't sure how to model them- something to learn in the future. I finished the project and will print it off on 80lb card stock so I can mail it.

I also received a Star Wars ornament for Christmas from a friend of my folks, in appreciation for my helping her with her computer. So I am going to do one for her, except with a Star Wars / Sci fi theme. Look for it in an upcoming post as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment