Monday, January 9, 2012

New Project!

I have started on a new project. It's basically a room scene, except I plan on setting it a little ways in the future. This is a redo of a project I did when I was at FHSU. I had a class on 3d in which we had to build a room among other things. I don't even remember the program, though I think it started with an S. The room project was always my favorite of the things I did in that class, so I decided I would redo it except with everything better, and with the benefit of nearly 10 years new knowledge of the world that I didn't have at the time. At the suggestion of my good friend, Dave Simpson, I decided to start posting "in progress" pics of this project as I go along instead of keeping everyone in suspense.

This one is the main table, and as soon as I get the thermos finished, I will add it. I am creating each piece separately and to scale, so it will be easier to reuse them later for other projects. There are going to be quite a few more items in this scene- which will be better lit, I should add- than in the original, by the time I am done.

I modeled, textured and rendered it in Modo/Photoshop (the wood grain is made from scratch in Photoshop). By the time I am done, I might model a sculpture or two in Zbrush and bring it in, for decoration. We'll see I guess.

I thought I would include my two favorite pics from that original scene. Just to give some point of reference of where I am starting.


A few points on the above image:
• I hope Apple will forgive me as I can't really leave out the name and such without destroying the image. I no longer have the original 3d files to allow me to edit it. Not to mention there is a reference to an episode of  a particular tv show.. It was a class project after all. These will all get changed in the new version.
• There is, of course, no such thing as a G7. I didn't have any way of knowing they would switch to Intel chips later on after this was created. I do believe the trend will continue more in this direction of being smaller and smaller. though.
• You might think the floating display is sci fi.. think again. If you have a spare $20,000 or so.. you can get one.. hopefully in the future as technology gets better they will become more consumer affordable.
http://thefutureofthings.com/articles/40/heliodisplay-floating-display.html

Next is the stereo…

 
I was pretty happy with the stereo itself- particularly after the hours I had spent modeling and assembling it. The main flaws here are the stand and the floor. Bleh! Both need major help in the area of surfacing. The new version will be a different kind of stereo anyway. Also the lighting needs improvement I think.

I plan to do a couple different sets of images for this eventually- a daytime and nighttime version. The room will have windows of course. After all, how boring would a room be with no windows?



No comments:

Post a Comment